Thursday, April 30, 2009

more on librarian venting: I'm not the only one!

Yay! Apparently I'm not the only librarian in the world who thinks it's uncool -- unprofessional, unwise and much more -- to vent about library users online.

Behold, the wisdom of David Lee King in yesterday's post:

Be Nice to Customers - Even Online

Here's a sample:

In some cases, these lovely little quotes can be found pretty easily … and can also be traced back to the owner of the words (and the library that person works for).

Then what? Does the library director have to issue a statement (like the CEO of Domino’s did)? What happens to the librarians above when their library director discovers Twitter?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those Dominoes folks were on company time and doing illegally adulterating food that was then delivered to customers - they absolutely should have been fired! I like the comments on David Lee King's blog where there is the need for a professional and a personal presence - and that those 2 presences MUST be kept separate.

deborah said...

Anonymous, as we discussed in person, I heard presenters at CIL2009 saying that it is nearly impossible to maintain separate identities on the Internet. According to folks who have tried, the personal and professional identities start to merge over time. Even if people had a separate, personal identity, would it then be OK to talk trash about customers from your work?

Anonymous said...

I tried to keep a second identity on Twitter. I got a bunch of followers I knew from real life and couldn't help telling some of them who they were following, so yeah, it's not easy to keep the cat in the bag. Besides, venting is much more securely done from your local pub. Bonus: they have tasty adult beverages there. Not so much on Twitter.