Wednesday, January 21, 2009

ethics & venting about library patrons

As I've been exploring the world of Web 2.0, I've noticed a disturbing trend: on various blogs and social networking sites, including Facebook & twitter, library staff members are sharing negative tales about library patrons. This rubs me the wrong way and seems unethical. I have found a couple of blog posts and one print article about Web 2.0 ethics and librarians, but most focus on accuracy of information and giving credit to sources.

Is anyone out there discussing this venting issue?

What do you think? Is it OK to dish about library patrons in public forums? To me, it is not OK, even if you are anonymous. It reflects poorly on our profession. I'm very interested in others' opinions. I am seeing this more and more, and it makes me sad.

Update: related links...

I have more links to librarian/library staff blogs, but I decided not to post them. They are bad, bad, bad.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OK, I just watched the Make 'Em Laugh show on PBS & George Carlin, Tommy Smothers, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Chris Rock, and others talked about how absolutely important free speech is. I agree & even though I haven't read the whiny drivel that I understand is being blogged by librarians, I think self-censorship would reflect poorly on the profession. Let deeper insights and higher-minded babble drown out the other. - Skip Auld, Durham, NC

Lisa K said...

I think I put off commenting because I have trouble organizing my thoughts on the topic.

Sometimes, it feels good to tell or read patron tales and build shared camaraderie around we-sure-survived-some-kooks! Often, it feels good to type those cranky comebacks I can't say aloud.

Once in a while, I read whiny blogs and ask myself, How would I have handled that? Or, I find myself unimpressed that the library worker is proud of how s/he gave cruddy service.

I hadn't considered the larger implications. Do we all look whiny and catty if library blogs are full of unkind stories about patrons? I would hate for patrons to tell each other "Don't ask them for help at That library, they are all gossips and will tell everyone that you needed a book about depression." And, then Skip went and brought free speech into it.

See. I'm still unresolved.

SnusieQ said...

I would have to say venting on the internet is a very poor decision. Whether you mean it or not, what you type will be on there indefinitely. It does resemble gossiping because the story is so one-sided. God forbid the Vent-e identify themselves in this situation and respond in like.