Tuesday, March 10, 2009

thoughts on RSS & technology in general

I've been reading about people's reaction to RSS and remembering how I felt about it when I first tried it. I didn't get it. It took me a while to figure out how it would be most useful to me, if at all. I think I remember subscribing to some things using Bloglines, but not finding it very convenient at first. I think it took me at least a couple of months to warm up to the process.

The real turning point for me was, honestly, when I got my iPhone and figured out that I could easily read my RSS feeds via Goodle Reader on it. If this sounds odd, let me explain. I don't subscribe to the Times Dispatch any more. And there are several newspapers I like to read on the web. By subscribing to newspapers' RSS feeds, I can drag myself to the kitchen table in the morning with my coffee and read the news on my iPhone, just like I would have done with a hard copy of the RTD. Except that I have access to a much wider variety of news sources. For me, it is so much nicer than having to go and sit in front of a PC or even go and get my laptop.

So, being able to access RSS feeds on a portable device is what really got me hooked. I can read things that interest me whenever I have a free moment and the inclination -- like waiting at the doctor's office. I'm not limited to whatever magazines they have on hand. I'm not sure how easy it is to do RSS on other portable devices. But this is what works for me.

I should add that I've been on a quest for the perfect portable device for a few years. I don't care at all about having the latest and greatest technology; but I do want something that will help me keep my calendar and "to do" list in one place without feeling like a brick in my purse. I tried a couple of Palm devices and before that, I had an old Pocket PC (Windows Mobile) device. I wasn't sure about having something that combined a phone and PDA-type-thing, but I was sick of carrying a cell phone and a PDA. Or a big, fat paper calendar/organizer. I forgot to mention I tried the whole Daytimer thing, too. When my significant other got an iPhone and I saw how easy it was to use, I was sold.

I'm explaining all of this so you know where I'm coming from. I truly don't love all new technology for its own sake. And I'm as skeptical as the next person about Web 2.0 things when I first encounter them. Some of them I never "get." I gravitate toward the things that can help me do something I need/want to do. Like keep myself somewhat organized; keep in touch with friends; find old friends; keep up with library things or get help with my knitting. Those are not in order of importance. :)

No comments: