Wednesday, March 4, 2009

week 2: blogs

I can definitely see a use for blogs for the library system and for me, personally and professionally.

In libraries: Many libraries already have blogs that they use to communicate with patrons. To me, the best use is probably for specific audiences or programs. I could see a blog aimed at teen patrons, or even the Teen Advisory Board, being successful. Or, maybe a Summer Reading Club blog. I think we need to be careful not to create something that people won't really want to use.

Professionally: I read several blogs on a regular basis, as time permits, to keep up with what's going on in libraries. It is particularly hard to keep up with library technology topics, so blogs are very good for that. Tame the Web and David Lee King are two of my favorites. My favorite thing about blogs is that it is easy for average folks to have access to "experts" in their field. The chances of my running into Michael Stevens or Davide Lee King are slim, but I can read their blog posts and actually have a conversation with them by commenting, if I choose. Blogs make it much easier to connect with people in the library world and keep up with what's going on.

Personally: Again, I like having access to experts. My favorite hobby is knitting, and I read several knitting blogs on and off. Often, people post detailed instructions for different techniques. Sometimes, they even post free patterns. Their blogs provide me with a wealth of information that would be nearly impossible to get otherwise. I learned knitting mostly from books, and the information in books in invaluable. But, if I want to read about a real person's experience with trying to learn to knit lace, a blog is the place to go. Also, it's nice to see what other people are knitting and get ideas from that. I will look here when I get serious about knitting lace. I like to look here for ideas for the Teen Knitting club. And there are many more.

For every possible interest, there are hundreds (probably thousands) of blogs out there that might be helpful. I can understand folks not seeing the value in publishing their own blog indefinitely. But, I hope you will continue to explore what's out there that might enhance your professional development and your personal FUN!

No comments: