OK, I use the same profile photo everywhere that I contribute online. Yesterday I read an article linked to a friend's blog, and now I'm trying to decide if I need a more professional photo. According to this article from PC World, my photo falls into the category of "thoughtless" profile photos, which includes "...costume-like pics: wet suits and surfboards, bike gear, Halloween outfits."
I use this photo for a couple of reasons. Most importantly, I have worked with the public for at least 14 years and am not crazy about being recognized very easily. I don't want to go into details, but if you've had public service jobs, you know that, inevitably, some people are not happy with you, and some people are very, very, enthusiastically happy with you. I'd rather not be findable easily by either online. :) I know they could find me if they were determined. Still...something feels creepy about having my face on my blog. Is that silly?
Also, I just like that photo. It reminds me of a happy day. I tried to change it once and got a disappointed reaction from a co-worker.
So...I'm confused. I wouldn't have put my profile photo into the same category with Halloween costumes. But I've been much more of a lurker (dating myself!) than a participant online for a long time. Maybe I'm not savvy enough to know it is unprofessional.
Your thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I don't think your photo is a "don't". While it's not a "professional" photo, I think it strikes a nice balance between privacy (as someone who works for the public), and personal interests. In addition, it's not a cartoon or anything that could come back to "haunt" you later.
Post a Comment